This page contains a collection of the most asked questions concerning our organisation. If you feel a lack of information please sent an e-mail to email@example.com. We will answer your question, and with your compliance we publish the question, if we find it valuable to improve our FAQ site.
(Note: Please click on a question below to access the related answer)
About Eurescom - Some logistics
questions about Eurescom:
? What is Eurescom all about? What are its goals?
? Which companies are involved in Eurescom?
? Can my company benefit from the research of Eurescom?
? Is it possible to purchase project results?
? Is it possible to get also results from an area, which is restricted to the Eurescom community?
? I have a project idea. How can I propose a new project?
Project Management; organisational
? Where do I find forms and templates?
? Where is the WS reporting; EMIS database access or reports section?
? Where do I find information on how to prepare a Eurescom presentation?
? What is the meaning of EICS? / How to apply?
? What does EMIS mean?
? What is the recommended screen resolution for viewing the Website?
? I have problems to access the Eurescom FTP server
? What are the dial in numbers to get connection to Eurescom?
? How does the Eurescom Audio System work?
General questions about Eurescom:
Q: What is
Eurescom all about? What are its goals?
A: Eurescom, the European Institute for Research and Strategic Studies in Telecommunications GmbH, is the leading organisation for collaborative R&D in telecommunications. Founded in 1991, Eurescom provides comprehensive collaborative research management services to network operators, service providers, manufacturers, suppliers and vendors who wish to collaborate on the issues facing the telecommunications industry today. Eurescom manages R&D programmes and projects for its members and others.
companies are involved in Eurescom?
A: There are 16 members from 16 European countries permanently involved in Eurescom (1 January 2003). Our members are major European network operators and service providers. In addition, many leading international suppliers and vendors have been involved in many of our R&D projects.
Q: Can my company benefit from
the research of Eurescom?
A: All publicly available results can be accessed. If material from such results are used in your work we request that this material is properly indicated and referenced as Eurescom IPR. Collaboration is possible with some projects and with some other research or standardisation bodies.
Q: Is it possible to purchase project
A: Project results are either publicly available or they are confidential and can only be accessed by people from Eurescom member companies. Publicly available results can generally be downloaded for free if not indicated otherwise.
Q: Is it possible to get also results from an area,
which is restricted to the Eurescom community?
A: Confidential results (i.e. accessible only for Eurescom shareholders) can be accessed if you have an EICS (Eurescom Information and Communications Services) account. If you belong to the entitled group you may apply for an EICS account.
Q: I have a project idea. How
can I propose a new project?
A: New project ideas can be submitted at any time or in answering an official Call for Proposals for the new Project Programme. For further information please consult our Web site at Project Programmes.
Project Management; organisational matters:
is the WS reporting; EMIS database access or reports section?
A: These sections can be accessed through the link Project Management from each individual project page.
Where do I find information on the preparation of a Eurescom presentation?
A: Information about the requirements to prepare a presentation can be found at our Management Handbook #8. A presentation template is available from the MHB-Forms/Template section.
Minimum requirements to access and use the EICS
The minimum requirement to access the EICS is an Internet connection.
Optionally a remote access connection (PSTN or ISDN) to Eurescom may be used. This option ensures a good guaranteed performance and in addition is much more secure than the Internet.
The minimum software requirements are a FTP client and an Internet E-mail client. In addition and highly recommended is a WWW browser .
What are information services - communication services at Eurescom?
- The Web-Service offers easy-to-access information on Eurescom activities, Project results and more. It includes links to the FTP server, thus making it easy to download files (e.g. Deliverables) after having read short-form information. In addition, webspace is provided which ma be used by Project participants to disseminate results in Internet format, or as means of communication within a Project group.
- The FTP Server stores all information to be made available to our Shareholders in electronic format, contains also a public section for general information and public Deliverables.
- The News-Service enables registered EICS users to access email archives and discussion forums, which are automatically updated. Used widely within Eurescom Projects. Entrance either via the web or with a newsreader application.
- Eurescom News Flash is an electronic bulletin containing the latest news and announcements essential for people working for one of our Shareholder companies and who are involved in Eurescom work. Distributed periodically by email.
- CD-ROMS containing most of the FTP and web contents are sent to Shareholders' Technical Liaison Managers on a quarterly basis. This allows our Shareholders' staff to download all vital information into your company's intranet quickly and easily.
- Eurescom is equipped with a Euro-ISDN telephone system through which all staff members (EPS) may be contacted directly.
- E-mail: To send email to any Eurescom staff member, please use the following scheme: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daily replication of FTP and web-servers to Shareholders' Intranet Mirrorservers.
- Networked meetings can be held in several meeting rooms at Eurescom premises in Heidelberg. Visitors may be connect their notebooks to the Eurescom LAN. During a meeting, the user can exchange files or access the Internet.
- An audio conference server allows our customers to schedule and to conferences 24h 7days
Q: What is meant by EMIS?
A: EMIS stands for Eurescom Management & Information System. EMIS provides access to our database for project reporting and project accounting as well as to addresses. Access to EMIS is possible through the project pages (Project Management link).
Q: What is the recommended screen resolution for
viewing the Website?
A: As most users still use a resolution of 800*600 pixel the new Web was designed to allow a complete viewing of the menu with this resolution. The best resolution is 1024*768. Higher resolutions (e.g. 1280*1024) may result in very small fonts.
Q: I have problems to access the
Eurescom FTP server
A: Please check first if your EICS account is still valid and that you have entered it correctly. In some cases access is hindered by some firewall settings. please check with your network administrator if the settings are correct.
Q: How can I get
access to the secure FTP and Web areas (EICS account)?
A: EICS accounts are granted only to people working with a Eurescom shareholder and involved in a project or another Eurescom activity. If you belong to such a group of people you can apply for EICS access by using the EICS Application form.
Q: How to
access the information services - communication services at Eurescom?
A: You can connect via Internet or with analog or ISDN modem connections.
If you have an analog modem you should connect to +49 6221 989 240
If you have an ISDN modem you should connect to +49 6221 989 280
Q: How does the
A: Our advanced audio conference system based on the ITU H.323 standard allows project participants to connect by phone or by PC. The system is available 24 hours per day to our customers. There is no need for cumbersome booking procedures, and the quality is excellent. We also offer a collaboration server, which allows for sharing and editing documents during an audio conference. The fact that the system was used for more than 500 conferences in 2001 illustrates how important and well accepted this tool is in collaborative projects.
If you want to learn more, head over to vc.eurescom.de and login with your EICS account. Then click the "Help" option in the menu on top of the page.